Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Charles Dickens



This is the first Dickens I have ever read and I absolutely loved it.

This is a love story set against the upheaval prior to and during the beginning of the French Revolution set in London and Paris.  I understand now why Sydney Carton is one of the great characters of English literature.

Seeing as the majority of the world has read this book there's not much to say other than it has made the only resolution I made for 2015, which was to read Dickens, so much easier, it would have been a tough ask if I didn't like the first book I attempted.

In a book full of well known quotes, the following is one that made me laugh in a book not known for its humour.

"The learned profession of the law was certainly not behind any other learned profession in it's Bacchanalian propensities."


No comments:

Post a Comment