Saturday, October 8, 2022

BLOODY MURDER -Julian Symons

 



























 A history of the detective novel through to the thriller through to the spy novel.  From Poe through to the 1990's.

Originally published in 1972 with revisions in 1985 and finally1992 shortly before the authors death.  Symons doesn't hold back in his criticism, personally I agreed with most of what he writes about the genre.. I  also think we would agree on how bad Robert Ludlum is but he couldn't offer an opinion as he was never been able to finish one of his books.

A good history which doubles as an encyclopedia of the genre. This book has given me years of book hunting to undertake finding authors I have never previously heard of

Its very hard book to find, I had to bite the bullet and buy it new which was getting up there price wise,  but if detective fiction is your main reading its invaluable to have in your collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment