Wednesday, January 24, 2018

BRIDESHEAD REVISITED - Evelyn Waugh

























The sacred and profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder.

It follows, from the 1920's to the early 1040's, the life and romances of the protagonist Charles Ryder including his friendship with the Flytes, a family of wealthy English Catholics who live in a palatial mansion called Brideshead Castle.  Ryder has relationships with two of the family: Sebastian and Julia.  The novel explores themes including nostalgia for the age of the English aristocracy, Catholicism, and the nearly overt homosexuality of Sebastian Flytes's coterie at Oxford University.
(Wiki)

Another reading, the seventh I think, of this great book.  Every time I read I think this is Waugh's best then I read Sword of Honour and say that's better but I love this.

This is a very simple book of relationships all of which unfortunately have Catholicism running in the background like a computer virus, it affects every action and decision made by all the characters and while all mostly follow their belief system it does not make for happy people.

For me Sebastian is forever Anthony Andrews who played him so well in the television adaptation in the early 1980's.

One of my favourite books, its always a go to when I can't settle on a book to read.  Waugh's brilliant and I never tire of reading him.























No comments:

Post a Comment