Tuesday, January 9, 2018

DEATH IN THE STOCKS - Georgette Heyer

























Beneath a sky the colour of sapphires and the sinister moonlight, a gentleman in evening dress is discovered slumped in the stocks on the village green- he is dead.  Superintendent Hannasyde's consummate powers of detection and solicitor Giles Carrington's amateur sleuthing are tested to their limits as they grapple with the Vereker family - a group of outrageously eccentric and corrupt suspects.

The above blurb from the back of this book first published in 1935 held out some promise as a decent mystery, sadly not.  We get a very run of the mill murder mystery, pedestrian, and again the only thing that stopped this getting the bin treatment early on is Heyer writes good conversation and can be witty.

But if I want witty I listen to Billy Connolly so Heyer is going to get one more chance and if that's a fail I'm afraid she'll get by-passed on the shelves in future.

2 comments:

  1. I have several Georgette Heyer books in my to-read stacks that I haven't gotten around to reading yet. That's disappointing to hear that this one wasn't good. Hopefully, the ones in my to-read stack will be more enjoyable than this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read two, some people rave about her so I'll keep going, you don't get 50 books published if you're rubbish

    ReplyDelete