Friday, April 14, 2017

A PASSAGE TO INDIA - E M Forster

























This revolves around Dr. Aziz  and three British citizens in India between the wars.

On a trip to the Marabar Caves one of the group, Miss Adela Quested believes she is sexually assaulted by Dr. Aziz who is subsequently arrested and put on trial.

His arrest and trial brings to the surface all the racism and prejudices that already exist but are usually kept hidden behind a thin veil of manners. The people of different races revert to their own race in  their attitudes.

What surprised me most is how the Indians didn't murder most of the British in their beds and kick any remaining out.  So many of the British that lorded it over the 'natives' were third rate little despots who thought they were gentry.  The arrogance is terrible; I found the same thing in Orwells 'Burmese Days".

Once I picked this and started it I was drawn in immediately, the writing is fantastic and it is an effortless read.  I found even though I enjoyed this I had no empathy with any of the characters even Dr. Aziz the victim.  I think this was mainly because they are all so human with their petty prejudices bred into them by race and religion.

This is a fantastic book and deserves its place on all the " best/ greatest novels lists".



No comments:

Post a Comment